Checklist for Faculty Search Process
Yale School of Architecture
Rank and Position:
___ Professor with Tenure
___ Associate Professor with Tenure
___ Associate Professor on Term
___ Assistant Professor
___ Professor Adjunct
___ Associate Professor Adjunct
___ Assistant Professor Adjunct
(The steps below apply to all of the ranks above.)
1. The Dean of the School of Architecture submits a search request to the Deputy Provost for the Arts and Humanities. Please note that all correspondence and materials sent to the deputy provost should also be sent to the associate provost for the arts and humanities, John Mangan.
2. The deputy provost informs the dean that the search is authorized and copies the Office for Equal Opportunity Programs and the Office of Faculty Administrative Services (OFAS). Please refer to the Search and Recruitment Expense Guidelines.
3. The dean submits the following to the deputy provost and the Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity, Valarie Stanley – the job advertisement, the advertising strategy, and the search committee chair, members, and diversity representative. Please refer to the Advertisement Checklist and Guidelines for Faculty Positions.
4. The deputy provost reviews and approves the advertisement and search committee.
5. OEOP reviews the ad for EEO-related content and reviews the advertising strategy. If necessary, OEOP consults with the dean to resolve any problems. OEOP then informs the dean and the deputy provost that the EEO-related content is approved and the ad is ready. OEOP contacts the diversity representative to discuss diversity strategy and training.
6. The search committee reviews the applicants, produces a short list for preliminary interviews, and submits the list together with candidates’ curricula vitae and reference letters to the deputy provost to approve. Subsequent to this point, any additions to the list must be submitted for approval to the dean and the deputy provost.
7. The search committee arranges interviews with candidates on the short list.
8. The search committee recommends the appointment of an individual to the dean and establishes a ranked alternate list of possible appointees.
9. For the ranks of Professor with Tenure, Associate Professor with Tenure, Associate Professor on Term, Professor Adjunct, and Associate Professor Adjunct, which require letters of evaluation (see Documents Required for FSQ) the dean submits a draft of the letter that will be sent to evaluators and the list of prospective evaluators (including a summary of each prospective evaluator’s credentials) to the deputy provost, with copy to the deputy provost’s assistant for the arts (see Letter to Evaluators). Experience indicates that at least twelve to fifteen individuals should be listed as prospective evaluators in order to net the requisite seven letters of evaluation. The candidate may provide three to five names of prospective evaluators. The dean and members of the Executive Committee will choose the remaining individuals to contact for letters of evaluation.
10. For the ranks outlined in point 9, upon obtaining approval of the letter and the list of prospective evaluators from the deputy provost, the search committee contacts those prospective evaluators by email to ask if they would be willing to provide evaluations (see Email to Evaluators). Once affirmative responses are received from at minimum seven evaluators, or more than seven if attrition is anticipated, then the letter requesting evaluation is sent to those evaluators who have agreed to participate. Their evaluations are subsequently received and reviewed. Please note that the dean or the dean’s assistant will need to submit the Matrix of Evaluators listing all individuals who were asked for evaluations, including those who declined, for the Standing Advisory and Appointments Committee (SAAC) for the School of Architecture.
11. For all ranks, the dean presents the candidate, or list of candidates, to the Executive Committee for review and recommendation. The Executive Committee vote is recorded on the Executive Committee Vote Form, which is then sent to the deputy provost. No verbal or written offer may be made before steps 9 through 14 are completed.
12. The search committee completes and uploads the following to the Office of the Provost’s SharePoint site:
- the Faculty Search Questionnaire (FSQ) as a Word document
- all supporting materials as a separate, single PDF document to the department’s FSQ folder on the Provost’s Office SharePoint site (see Documents Required for FSQ)
One electronic copy of these materials must also be submitted to the deputy provost’s office to the attention of the deputy provost’s assistant for the arts.
13. OEOP reviews the FSQ and supporting documents for compliance with Yale’s equal opportunity policies and may discuss these aspects of the search with the department chair, the search committee chair, and the diversity representative, as needed. OEOP will update the FSQ to SharePoint with a recommendation to approve, and OFAS notifies the deputy provost, with copy to the deputy provost’s assistant for the arts, that the FSQ and supporting documents are ready for final review and approval. The deputy provost then reviews and approves the FSQ and supporting documentation as needed.
14. Candidates for Professor with Tenure, Associate Professor with Tenure, Associate Professor on Term, Professor Adjunct and Associate Professor Adjunct must be presented to and approved by the Standing Advisory and Appointments Committee (SAAC) for the School of Architecture before any offer of employment or discussion of salary takes place. The dean or the dean’s assistant compiles all review materials (see Documents Required for SAAC), uploads them to Classes*v2, and then notifies the deputy provost, with copy to the deputy provost’s assistant for the arts, that the materials have been uploaded.
15. Upon SAAC decision, the Provost signs the SAAC Record of Provostial Decision form and submits it to the dean and the deputy provost, with copy to OFAS and to the deputy provost’s assistant for the arts.
16. For all ranks, if an offer of employment is approved, the dean and deputy provost delineate the terms of the offer (see Offer Letter Template for Junior Faculty). The final offer letter must be approved by the deputy provost and, after approval, sent by the dean with copy to the deputy provost.
17. Upon receipt of the signed offer letter from the candidate, the dean or the dean’s assistant prepares the Faculty Data Collection Forms (Part 1 and Part 2) and attendant materials for candidates who have not previously worked at Yale and provides these to the Office of Faculty Administrative Services.
N.B.: To be clear, no offer may be made without the explicit approval of the deputy provost. All offers will be made subject to the filing and approval of the FSQ.