Non-Tenured, Ladder Faculty Search Procedures and Checklist
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
___ Associate Professor on Term
___ Assistant Professor
- The department chair consults with the FAS dean to obtain approval from the FAS Steering Committee to conduct a search.
- The dean informs the department chair that the search is authorized and copies the cognizant provost and Valarie Stanley, Director, of Office for Equal Opportunity Programs (OEOP).
- The department chair proposes the following to the dean: the search committee chair, the members, and the diversity representative. Each search committee must have a diversity representative. Prior to the initiation of the search this individual meets with OEOP to discuss strategy. A search may not go forward until a diversity representative is appointed to the search committee.
- After the dean approves the search committee, the chair’s assistant provides the department chair and search committee chair with a copy of this checklist and the Faculty Search and Recruitment Expense Guidelines.
- The department chair prepares a job advertisement. Information regarding advertisements is available online at Advertisement checklist and guidelines for faculty positions . Note: A “review of applications” date, rather than “closing” date should be given, and a short writing sample sent with application is strongly suggested.
- The department chair sends the ad to the FAS dean and OEOP for approval.
- OEOP reviews the ad for appropriate language and informs the department chair or search committee chair and dean if there is any problem with the language.
- The dean approves the final ad, copying OEOP. The advertisement must be available to the public free of charge for a minimum of 30 days before applications are closed.
- The chair’s assistant contacts the Office of Faculty Administrative Services (OFAS) to create the electronic posting of the position for the purpose of collecting applications. If not using the electronic system to gather applications, the department must obtain from OEOP pre-printed postcards used for gathering gender and race or ethnicity information, and mail the postcards to all applicants.
- Review of applications produces a short list for preliminary interviews or campus visits, which must be reviewed by the FAS dean. Department search committee submits Interview Approval Form to FAS dean (firstname.lastname@example.org) for review; dean approves list. FAS dean must approve any subsequent candidates added to interview list.
- Department brings several candidates for campus visits, in accordance with the FAS Search and Recruitment Expense Guidelines.
- Department approves appointment of an individual and, perhaps, establishes an alternate list of possible appointees. Use the Departmental Faculty Vote Form to record the vote on the selected candidate.
- The department completes and uploads the Faculty Search Questionnaire (FSQ) as a Word document and all supporting materials as a separate, single pdf document to the department’s FSQ folder on the Provost’s Office Sharepoint site (https://share.yale.edu/departments/provostoffice/facdev/FAS/Forms/AllItems.aspx). OFAS will notify the FAS dean to request approval. NOTE: No offer can be made to the candidate without the dean’s approval.
- NOTE: In the unlikely event that a non-tenured appointment is not approved by the FAS dean, the dean will transmit the appointment materials and a letter explaining the dean’s concerns to an ad hoc committee appointed by the provost. The committee will discuss the appointment with both the dean and the department chair and recommend a course of action to the provost. This procedure, modified by motion at the April 2007 faculty meeting, was part of the FASTAP report approved by the faculty in April 2007.
- OEOP reviews the FSQ along with the accompanying materials and may discuss aspects of the search with the department chair, the search committee chair, or the diversity representative, as needed.
- After OEOP and the FAS dean have approved the FSQ, OFAS notifies the cognizant provost of the need for final review and approval.
- Once approved by the cognizant provost, OFAS notifies the department chair and chair’s assistant.
- The department chair works with the cognizant provost to delineate the terms of an offer. The cognizant provost will provide a template for the offer letter.
- A draft of the letter is sent to the cognizant deputy provost for review. NOTE: The final letter must be cosigned by the deputy provost.
- After the cognizant provost has approved the offer letter, s/he and the department chair both will sign. The department chair sends the letter to the candidate. NOTE: No offer letter may be sent before the FSQ has been approved.
- The candidate must sign and return a copy of the final offer letter in order to accept the offer.
- Upon receipt of the signed offer letter, the department prepares a Faculty Data Collection Form and attendant materials and sends these materials to Faculty Administrative Services, 246 Church Street, room 216, email@example.com .