Policies regarding faculty leaves of absence and teaching relief for all Yale schools are located in section XVII of the Faculty Handbook. Procedures for faculty in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences are included below. For procedures in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, please consult the Office of Faculty Affairs, Yale School of Medicine (http://medicine.yale.edu/facultyaffairs/index.aspx). Procedures for all other schools are forthcoming.
- Faculty Leave Form-3501 FR.08C - Upon approval of the leave request from the cognizant provost or school dean, the faculty member asks the relevant administrator in the department or school to submit this form to the Office of Faculty Administrative Services to officially record the leave.
Faculty of Arts & Sciences
- An annual memo is sent to all ladder faculty on or about November 1 soliciting leave requests for the subsequent year. All faculty members who wish to take a leave must submit the Request for Faculty Leave form to their department chairs, including non-tenured faculty who have submitted leave proposals and non-ladder faculty. Faculty who have fully joint appointments should submit the form to the chairs of all departments in which they hold fully joint appointments.
NOTE: As rule, all leaves for ladder faculty span the entire term or year. That is, they must either begin on July 1 or January 1 and must end on either June 30 or December 31.
Tenure-track faculty (Assistant Professors and Associate Professors on term)
Teaching relief for child rearing
The faculty member must submit the following to the department chair or school dean (NOTE: DO NOT SUBMIT THE REQUEST UNTIL ALL ITEMS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED):
- Completed Request for Faculty Leave form,
- Modified version of the Template letter to request Teaching Relief for Childrearing with the faculty member’s own information, and
- Written confirmation from the faculty member’s spouse/partner’s employer as outlined in the template letter.
For faculty in the schools of Architecture, Art, Divinity, Music, and in the Institute of Sacred Music, please use the Request for Faculty Leave (Arts schools) form. Refer to the following timelines for deadlines of submission:
Faculty in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, please consult the Office of Faculty Affairs, Yale School of Medicine (http://medicine.yale.edu/facultyaffairs/index.aspx).
For faculty in the other professional schools, please consult with your local department administrative offices.