Types of separation events
- Term End
- Eligible Retiree
- Phased retirement
Procedures for processing
- Term End - Faculty member has an appointment end date and is not being reappointed. Terminate the faculty member in Workday on the last day of the appointment. No documentation is needed.
- Resignation - Faculty member has tenure or is resigning earlier than the appointment end date. The faculty member must provide a resignation memo containing the anticipated last date of work which you will send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Retirement - The faculty member must provide a memo containing the anticipated retirement date which you will send to email@example.com.
- Faculty members who are retiring from Yale should be referred to Employee Services to determine if they are eligible for retiree benefits.
- Ladder faculty may be eligible for Emeritus status, which is similar to having an active employee status for life. (Refer to the Faculty Handbook, section XIX.) OFAS staff will transition the faculty member to emeritus status.
- If the faculty member is not eligible for emeritus status but is deemed eligible for retiree status, you must terminate the faculty member in Workday and select the reason “Retirement”.
- Phased Retirement - Faculty members interested in this program should contact Employee Services to schedule an appointment with a counselor. If approved, OFAS staff will transition the faculty member to phased retirement.
Relevant Workday guide(s): Termination/Separation: Employee (Academic)
Note: The Termination Date needs to be the same as the last day of work, not the next day.