Types of separation events
- Term End
- Eligible Retiree
- Phased retirement
Procedures for processing
- Term End - Faculty member has an appointment end date and is not being reappointed. Terminate the faculty member in Workday on the last day of the appointment. No documentation is needed.
- Resignation - Faculty member has tenure or is resigning earlier than the appointment end date. The faculty member must provide a resignation memo containing the anticipated last date of work which you will send to email@example.com.
- Retirement - The faculty member must provide a memo containing the anticipated retirement date which you will send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Faculty members who are retiring from Yale should be referred to Employee Services to determine if they are eligible for retiree benefits.
- Ladder faculty may be eligible for Emeritus status, which is similar to having an active employee status for life, including active netIDs and email. (Refer to the Faculty Handbook, section XXI.Q., Emeriti Titles.)
- OFAS staff will transition the faculty member to emeritus status.
- If the faculty member is not eligible for emeritus status but is deemed eligible for retiree status, you must terminate the faculty member in Workday and select the reason “Retirement”.
- Phased Retirement - Faculty members interested in this program should contact Employee Services to schedule an appointment with a counselor.
- OFAS staff will transition the faculty member to phased retirement.
- The Provost’s Office submits the annual changes to the compensation. That is, they add the Faculty Phased Retirement Allowance Plan and submit annual changes (reductions).
Relevant Workday guide(s): Termination/Separation: Employee (Academic)
Note: The Termination Date needs to be the same as the last day of work, not the next day.
Retired vs. Retired - Active in Workday
Employees – staff or faculty – who are “Retired” are inactive and should not have active netIDs, email, or Yale ID cards. The “Retired” status means that they are eligible for retiree benefits. Employees who are ”Retired - Active” have been terminated, provided with retiree status for the purpose of enrolling in retiree benefits, and rehired for part-time work thus becoming active employees. Retirees cannot work more than half-time.