Faculty Appointments - New Hires
Every faculty hire should receive an offer letter containing the specific details of the appointment and signed by an authorized dean in the Yale school that is offering the appointment. The minimum required details include the following items:
- Appointment rank - Matching one of the approved ranks in the Faculty Handbook
- Appointment term - Preferably including the start and end dates
- Compensation amount
- Benefits statement if eligible
The new faculty hire should indicate acceptance of the offer by returning a countersigned copy the offer letter.
Once the offer is accepted, you can enter the new hire in Workday.
Relevant Workday guide: Hire Faculty Process
If hiring a faculty member who does not have a pre-hire record in Workday, you may wish to use the Data Collection Form to obtain the necessary personal information to create the employee record: Data Collection Form
For additional steps in the hiring process, go to, Onboarding: Procedures for new faculty hires.
Appointment Types (In order of most commonly used)
- Fully Joint
- Named Professorship
- MP Primary with Secondary
- MP Secondary with Primary
- Coterminous - Primary
Track Type Categories
- Non-Ladder Teaching
- Professional Practice
- Academic Affiliation
- Academic Administration
- (Training - pre-faculty appointments, i.e. postdocs and postgrads)